Benefits for your class
STEM becomes more relatable
By taking part in I’m an Engineer students can:
- Gain confidence through asking questions.
- See real-life examples and applications of STEM.
- Learn about the transferability of STEM and STEM qualifications.
- See engineers as normal people, not ‘elite geniuses’, with hobbies, interests, pets, and families.
Supporting students’ science capital
Science capital is a measure of a person’s personal relationship with science; how much they see the subject as ‘for them’. More about science capital.
I’m an Engineer supports the science capital teaching approach:
- Students become more aware of the diversity of, nature of, and routes into STEM jobs.
- We challenge the misconceptions that a job in STEM is all-consuming and based in a lab.
- More about how I’m an Engineer boosts students’ science capital
Students discover new careers
- Students connect with engineers from a diverse range of backgrounds, disciplines, and industries.
- They hear about new STEM careers and opportunities in higher education.
- I’m an Engineer supports seven of the eight Gatsby Careers Benchmarks
Every student is equal
- Text-based live Chats mean that all students have an equal chance of being answered:
- “It helps [to see] students in a different light. Some who are normally very quiet in school became very active in the chat.” – Teacher, May 2020
- Students gain confidence through asking questions.
More about the advantages of text-based interactions
Accessible to every school
- Schools within 15 minutes’ drive of a university are twice as likely to receive a visit from a university scientist than those 30 minutes or more away.
- I’m an Engineer is online, so you can access it from anywhere.
- Read more about how distance matters.
- More about our commitment to underserved and widening participation schools
Benefits for teachers
It’s backed by research:
- I’m an Engineer supports the Science Capital Teaching Approach.
- Taking part supports students’ Science Capital.
- It’s secure, safe and you’re in control: Only students who’ve been given access by their teacher can login to the Zone.
- No personal details are shared on the site, and student content is moderated. Read our safeguarding statement ❯
- You get to see which students have logged in and what questions they’ve asked.
- You can download transcripts of live chat sessions.
Everything’s designed for easy, online access:
- Signing up is quick and easy
- Students can log in at any time to read engineers’ profiles and send questions in ASK.
- Students create their own username using a link you create. This will take them around 10 minutes; send it to them the day before your chat, or earlier.
- You book chats for times that suit you and your students.
- Watch the video guides to see what its like to take part.
It’s free for state maintained schools:
- Thanks to our funders, most schools don’t have to pay.
- Non-state-maintained schools may be asked to pay a fee to take part.
Find out more ❯
Find out more: