“When students are engaged and start to see the real life impact of a subject, they’re more enthusiastic about it – I noticed an increased motivation to learn following [taking part].”
Emily Tulloch, Science teacher
Benefits for your class
They stay connected
- Taking part in I’m an Engineer helps them stay in touch with learning, with teachers, and with their classmates.
They see STEM in the real world
They discover new careers they didn’t know existed
- Students connect with engineers from a diverse range of backgrounds, disciplines, and industries. They hear about related STEM careers and opportunities in higher education.
- They see STEM professionals as role models, and start to see themselves in similar roles.
Benefits for teachers
It’s backed by research:
You’re in control:
- You get to see which students have logged in and what questions they’ve asked.
- You can download transcripts of live chat sessions.
It’s secure and safe:
- Only students who’ve been given access by their teacher can login to the Zone.
- No personal details are shared on the site, and student content is moderated.
Read our safeguarding statement ❯
Everything’s designed for easy, online access:
- Signing up is quick and easy
- Students can log in at any time to read engineers’ profiles and send questions in ASK.
- Students create their own username using a link you create. This will take them around 10 minutes; send it to them the day before your chat, or earlier.
- You book chats for times that suit you and your students.
It’s free for state maintained schools:
- Thanks to our funders, most schools don’t have to pay.
- Non-state-maintained schools may be asked to pay a fee to take part.
It takes 2 minutes to register