I’m an Engineer, Get me out of here is back! In November students at over 60 schools will be interacting with 22 engineers across 4 different zones.
Between 7th – 18th November school students will put the engineers through their paces in fast-paced live chats and probing questions on everything from motors, to diagnosis equipment and space.
Let’s meet the engineers and schools taking part…
This zone is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Ronnie Mills | Yorkshire Water
Building reservoirs and laying pipes to get your water from source to tap.
Richard Symonds | Con-Serv Ltd
I bring buildings to life, whilst controlling the comfort and mood of the people within them.
Krishma Kapoor | Taylor Woodrow
I am an apprentice working on the Crossrail West Station Upgrades
Daryl Lyons | General Dynamics UK
I’m responsible for creating cool websites and computer programs!
Anya Grainger | Vinci Construction
I am a technical apprentice in the Civil Engineering Division at Vinci Construction
- Alexandra Park Primary School, Cheshire
- Allerton High School, Yorkshire
- Breadalbane Academy, Aberfeldy
- Chosen Hill School, Gloucestershire
- Kingsmeadow Community Comprehensive School, Tyne and Wear
- Kyle Academy, Ayr
- Lampton Academy, Middlesex
- Merton Park Primary School, London
- Moulton School and Science College, Northamptonshire
- South Wirral High School, Merseyside
- St George’s Catholic Primary School, Enfield
- St Mary’s Catholic School, Tyne and Wear
- St Wilfrid’s RC College, Tyne and Wear
- The Heathland School, Hounslow
- Waddesdon Church of England School, Buckinghamshire
This zone is funded by the Wellcome Trust.
Vaanathi Sundaresan | University of Oxford
I analyse the brain images using software tools to diagnose diseases in early stages, so that they can be treated easily.
Tomas Parrado | Cairn Research
I design and build weird and wonderful equipment to help scientists with their wacky experiments.
Sylvain James | Cambridge Consultants
I develop medical equipment that help us know what is wrong with sick people and help the doctors treat them.
Sarah Hampson | PhD Student, Loughborough University
I’m trying to 3D print mini devices that can analyse cells, pollen and other tiny things.
James Clarke | Imperial College London
I am a neurotechnologist, designing wearable sensors to help us understand how brain diseases affect the way people walk and balance.
Dawn Gillies | PhD Student, University of Edinburgh
I’m a bioengineer – I use lasers to research cancer to try to improve medical care.
- Bishop Challoner Catholic College, West Midlands
- Cardinal Pole Roman Catholic School, London
- Chulmleigh Primary School, Devon
- Darrick Wood Secondary School, Kent
- Gillespie Primary School, London
- Gomer Junior School, Hampshire
- Grinling Gibbons Primary School, London
- Holyport College, Berkshire
- King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls, West Midlands
- Marylebone Boys’ School, London
- Springfield Academy, Durham
- Springwell Community College, Derbyshire
- Stanborough School, Hertfordshire
- The Boulevard Academy, Kingston-upon-Hull
- The Rochester Grammar School, Kent
- Wellfield High School, Lancashire
This zone is funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Sarah Hunt | Rolls-Royce PLC
I design parts for aeroplane engines and model them to calculate how long they will last in an engine – they are made from really special materials called ‘single crystals’.
Masha Folk | Cambridge University
I try to make jet engines eat less fuel by making the turbine inside work better.
Mark Catherall | Canopy Simulations
I simulate Formula 1 cars so that we can predict what the best design and setup will be for each race.
Leon Wechie | Leeds University
Finding out whether chemical oils and a material surface like one another, and exploring why and just how intimate their relationship is.
Dominique Anderson | Science Technology Facilities Council
Making motors move with software.
Andrei Ilie | Jaguar Land Rover
I make sure that cars can be put together from lots of tiny parts and write the instructions needed to do that; its kind of like putting Lego together.
- Arbroath Academy, Arbroath
- Arbroath High School, Arbroath
- Bebington High Sports College, Merseyside
- Herne Bay High School, Kent
- Horbury Academy, Yorkshire
- Howell’s School, Cardiff
- Loreto Grammar School, Cheshire
- Notre Dame High School, Glasgow
- Oxford High School GDST, Oxfordshire
- St Paul’s Academy, London
- Standish Community High School, Lancashire
- Stockley Academy, Hillingdon
- Surrey Square Primary School, London
- The Cornelius Vermuyden School, Essex
- The Ridgeway School & Sixth Form College, Wiltshire
- Woodchurch High School, Merseyside
This zone is funded by the UK Space Agency.
William Avison | Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
Building satellites that monitor natural and man-made disasters.
Silvia Pardo | Plymouth Marine Laboratory
I study the composition of the ocean using the colour of the water in pictures taken by satellites.
Kieran Arnold | Satellite Applications Catapult
I began as an apprentice and am now the Head of Networks and Systems at the Satellite Applications Catapult.
Katie Bashford | Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
I monitor and control spacecraft that are in orbit around the Earth.
Isaac Llorens | Clyde Space
My work is to understand how satellites work, define the fundamental design and make sure they do what we want them to do.
Betty Bonnardel-Azzarelli | AB5 Consulting
I am a rocket engineer who now helps to bring the internet to everyone & everywhere using satellites.
- Aldridge School, West Midlands
- Darlington School of Maths and Science, Durham
- Fairfield High School, Bristol
- Farr Primary School, Thurso
- Holme Valley Primary School, Lincolnshire
- James Bateman Junior High School, Staffordshire
- Kings Hedges Primary School, Cambridgeshire
- Lathom Junior School, London
- NESCol, Aberdeenshire
- Pool Hayes Arts and Community School, West Midlands
- Scarning Voluntary Controlled Primary School, Norfolk
- Smith’s Wood Sports College, West Midlands
- St Mary’s Primary School, Largs
- St Oswald’s RC Voluntary Aided Primary School, Tyne and Wear
- The Cooper School, Oxfordshire
- Varndean School, East Sussex
- Woodside Primary School, Hertfordshire