I’m an Engineer, Get me out of here! is back this November. Between Monday 11th and Friday 22nd November, students at 13 schools will be putting their questions to 5 engineers in the Detection Zone.
The Detection Zone is a themed zone supported by STFC.
Fahim Dhalla | Cryogenics Mechanical Engineer, CERN
I work on many aspects related to liquid helium cooling systems, from design to build, to help test new super conducting magnets
Chris Parmenter | Electronic Engineer, RAL Space
I design cameras, and other scientific equipment, for use in space.
Candice Basson | PhD Student, University of Manchester
I use one of the world’s largest particle detectors to look for new tiny building blocks of our universe
Will Smith | Graduate Engineer, Daresbury Laboratory
I work with other scientists and engineers to build machines that accelerate particles to almost the speed of light.
Lulu Buford | Process Engineer, Wood plc
I design pipelines for gas being delivered to a laboratory to look for dangerous elements in samples
- Abbey College Cambridge
- Weston College, Weston-Super-Mare
- Arbroath High School, Angus
- Wymondham High Academy, Norfolk
- The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, Sompting
- Walker Riverside Academy, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- St Peter’s Church of England Primary School, Hindley
- Rainham School for Girls, Gillingham
- Treviglas Community College, Newquay
- Beech Lodge School, Maidenhead
- The Derby High School, Bury
- The North School, Ashford
- New Line Learning Academy, Maidstone